25 May 2007

I ♥ Banksy

I really like Banksy, if you haven't heard of him he is a 'street artist' if you have heard of him & don't like him then he is known as a 'vandal'. Alot of his stuff is dotted about London & is almost always controversial or questioning the modern world, there's also some of his work in Brighton, Bristol, America & even the West Bank Barrier. He's anonymous, nobody knows what he looks like or what his real name is, probably because he is wanted by the Police for numerous offences to do with his art. If he was just one of those people that walked around with a graffiti can spraying random spots & proclaiming that ''Daz woz 'ere'' then I would class him as a vandal, but the fact his work I think, is quite thought provoking & is in it's own right, art, then I think he deserves to be called an artist. A few people I know disagree but you can make up your mind for yourselves from the pictures below.



Plus, what policeman/woman hasn't felt like doing this once in a while...........

7 comments:

The Thin Blue Line said...

some of his stuff is amazing. especially what he did in israel on the dividing wall with soldiers popping off shots at him.
have you seen his version of the statue of justice?

maneatingcheesesandwich said...

For a rebel who seems to want to kick away at authority through his art, it's a tad ironic that his portable works sell for astronomical sums. He has enormous talent - but wouldn't it be funny if he turned out to be a middle-aged housewife from the suburbs ?

maneatingcheesesandwich said...

Or (of course) a 33 yr old guy from Brizzle, rather than a cocky Manc or a chirpy Cockaneee

dickiebo said...

Brill stuff! Not much originality around but this guy/gal sure has plenty.

totallyun-pc said...

where did you get that picture of me at my last award ceremony!? lol

PS how would I buy that pic of a SCOTS guard? by the ton?

GirlNextDoor said...

Yeah his statue of justice is fab, as is the painting he did of Queen Victoria, 'tis very rude but very amusing :o)

MECS, apparently he's from Bristol, which means he probably sounds like me or Justin Lee Collins!

TUPC, probably by the brick, a nice statement piece for the living room! lol

thoughts running through my head.... said...

lol at the idea of the middle aged lady!!!I like his work but I'd still nick him!Its that old debate about whats art isnt it?