5 September 2007

It's Hard Work...

..Being a big sister. Not only do I get my clothes thieved, my shoes raided occasionally & my makeup lifted constantly (my cd's are strictly off bounds, they know what would happen if they even touched them & it wouldn't be nice I can tell you!) but I also have to keep my mouth shut if I don't approve of my little sister's boyfriend....



I can't help being a bit protective. She looks alot like Avril Lavigne, is my build (bit taller, lucky mare!) but doesn't have my personality, whereas me & her twin are quite loud, confident & call a spade a spade she's quiet, unassuming, a bit shy & not hugely confident so I tend to look out for her a bit & keep an eye on her. Although her & her twin are close her twin is more out with friends etc etc, whereas she's quiet & is more interested in horses than clubbing & partying, she would rather be in the background than in the spotlight. She was sixteen in May & the last few months she's started seeing this boy of seventeen. He's ok but he's a bit of an oik, nice enough but just a typical teenage boy I guess & I really struggle to not lecture her, she's sensible so it's not like she needs it I just worry a bit.

When my parents were having serious marriage problems due to my dad doing what he did, being six years older & in my mid teens at the time I was kind of a second mum for them so we are closer than normal sisters I guess & I don't like the thought of her going around with an Arctic Monkeys extra! She's really level headed just sometimes a bit naive & I'm finding it a bit hard to accept she's growing up. I haven't said anything to her because I don't think it's fair & if she has any problems etc she knows she can talk to me if she needs to, I just remember her learning to walk, her starting school etc etc & I don't like the thought of what her & her boyfriend might be doing.... Especially as I think she could do alot better. I don't think they are because she's asked me questions & I don't think she's at that age yet, she's not a typical loud & full of lip sixteen year old, she's into boys & stuff but she's not full on. I just can't help worrying about her a bit.

I almost feel like singing "hey, hey, you, you I don't like your boyfriend. No way, no way I think you need a new one" to her (an Avril Lavigne song, with a slight change of words). But that would be mean & childish & I can't sing so I think I'll leave it & stick to keeping quiet & keeping an eye on her.

Is this is what it's like to have kids & worry about them? Probably is, just magnified. I'm finding it hard enough now though, what will I be like with my own children?! Oh God, I'll probably be a right mother hen, my poor, poor future children! Lol

2 comments:

Girl With The Golden Touch said...

I think this. Bit diff, my bro has just turned 17, and I just don't want to think of him going out, what if he gets into fights and stuff..just little things, I want to get him, hug him and not let him go and grow up!!I know, imagine, to be a parent, we're only siblings!!!(hate that word)

Girl*Next*Door said...

It's really hard isn't it?! Mind you, my older brother is the same with me & I get annoyed sometimes but then I'm really glad we're so close as siblings (hate that word too, sounds wrong doesn't it?)

I think when I'm a parent I'll just be one of those types that wants to know where they are, what time they'll be back, who they're with etc etc. Terrible!