8 January 2008

Elegance



Was talking to a friend earlier about the usual horsey stuff & chat, mainly the pros & cons of her putting her one mare in foal & how the boxing day meet went with our local hunt when it came up about side saddle riding (one of the ladies there rides side saddle occasionally) & how elegant & graceful it is.

I have to say, I agree. It's something I've always been interested in & that I thought about doing in my early teens but somehow never got round to it o after having this chat with a friend decided that this year may be the time to learn.


It's not as difficult as it looks by all accounts, the main thing is getting the balance & position right because if you sit wrongly then obviously you will pull on the horses spine & put yours out as well.
It's also much safer as well as being more comfortable than riding astride, the reason it is much safer is because of the saddle construction.








The two pommels are what make it so supportive, the higher one, the 'fixed head' is obviously the support for the right thigh & part of the seatbones & the lower pommel, the 'leaping head' is the main support for when you are actually riding & jumping, it holds you in place & actually allows you to jump & to ride at more than walking pace. Before the introduction of the leaping head that was impossible.
The main reason for both of the heads is the sheer flatness of the the seat.




Really, really keen to learn it this year, feel like I need a challenge & something to work on so it is now one of my promises to me.
It's such an elegant & graceful way of riding that it is an art. Really love it. Also handy that I'm ideally situated where I am, everything revolves around horses here so there is no shortage of instructors.
Will keep you updated as to how it goes :o)




2 comments:

cogidubnus said...

As a non-equestrian I have to say that I love the look of sidesaddle riders...it's the long riding dresses as much as anything...Cool look!

Girl*Next*Door said...

Cogi, it's the most elegant way to ride there is, I really can't wait to try it. May even post some (long enough distance) pics! Already found an instructor so hopefully will start soon :o)