24 October 2011

Eccentricity.

That's me. I've never followed the crowd when it comes to fashion, never followed the crowd with anything really. I'll wear what suits me whether it is in fashion or not and am known with friends to be quite experimental with clothes. One example stands out because I liked the idea of grey skinny jeans, ruffled white shirt and braces with boots and got loads of compliments on it for some reason. One being that I can definitely carry off the androgynous look but I'm not sure if that is good or bad! Apparently I do look very feminine so a mostly male look suits me as my features soften it up apparently. That comment confused me but I suppose it does kind of make sense.
I don't dress differently for attention and I don't do it to be 'outrageous'. I do it because I want to be different, I don't want to be another clone in clothes everyone else is wearing, I like to show imagination in my makeup and appearance and although day-to-day I wear clothes that I like but that aren't too different, when I go out for an evening in town I like to make the effort without looking like a slapper.

Anyway, regular readers will know I have a thing for corsets and the whole burlesque look. I think I was quite possibly born in the wrong century! I feel really drawn to the whole Victorian style of clothing with a modern twist.
I've been hankering after a top hat for ages and ages and ages. The boyfriend thinks it is hilarious that I'd even consider wearing one then he decided that as I was actually serious about it it was a bit strange but has admitted the ones I've tried on suit me. They've always been out of my price range as the proper silk top hats tend to go for around the £100 mark or thereabouts and I can't justify that amount of money on something that will only be worn in the Winter on the odd night out. It's just too much.

I was searching Ebay earlier on the off chance that there may be some reasonable priced ones that weren't damaged when I came across a wool felt one that is not too tall in it's shape and is brand new with a Buy It Now price of £23 including post.

I am finding it extremely hard to resist buying it! I think I will ask the boyfriend for an early Christmas present. Failing that, I will guilt trip him in to buying it being as he has been on deployment since August and has 'abandoned' me :-P ;-). This could work :-P.



10 comments:

Metcountymounty said...

Buy it, whats the worst that can happen? Stick it back on ebay and get some money for it?!?!

Metcountymounty said...

Rather bizarrely saw a woman at earls court this morning in top hat and long coat, so you now have the random London endorsement for your purchase.

Girl*Next*Door said...

MCM, I posted this and then managed to hold out for a grand total of 17 minutes. I have no willpower whatsoever clearly!
The friend who did the photos a couple of weeks ago managed to get hold of one and I really loved how it looked and felt, it was great.
I love how anything goes in London. Part of what I miss about it :o).

JR said...

GND, nothing wrong with a lack of will power. Some of my best experiences have come from it.

I agree it's fun being in a city where literally anything goes.

How did the photos go in the end? Are you glad you took the plunge?

JR

Annette said...

I'm like you I do not follow fashion but then I 'm a littl eolder than you, I would look like mutton dressed as lamb! LOl
i wear just the basic make-up purely because I can't be bothered with not because I don't need it!
There's nothing wrong in it.
Beside what is the fashion these days anyway? I don't think there is a particular one now.

Annette said...

I'm like you I do not follow fashion but then I 'm a littl eolder than you, I would look like mutton dressed as lamb! LOl
i wear just the basic make-up purely because I can't be bothered with not because I don't need it!
There's nothing wrong in it.
Beside what is the fashion these days anyway? I don't think there is a particular one now.

cogidubnus said...

Dear shrunken dwarf,

Since you aren't wearing heels, at 3'10" you will clearly fall below my normal field of vision, and any fashion disparity will, therefore, be invisible to me!

(rasp!)

xxx

cogidubnus said...

PS "I have no willpower whatsoever clearly!"

Oh god I've wanted to meet a girl like this all my life, and now it's too damn late....

Equestrian Clearance said...

Great post, i would love a new winter outfit

Girl*Next*Door said...

JR, that is true for me as well now I think about it.

The photos went okay in the end, I am really glad I did it now although my stomach was doing somersaults beforehand and there are a few pictures where I am caught mid giggling fit which means the face doesn't go with the clothing or pose :o). I was stunned by how good some look which just goes to show the difference a good photographer can make :o).


Cogi, I am not 3'10! I suppose you could class me as a shrunken dwarf though :-D.
Anyway, the hat adds about another 3 or 4 inches which is a very good thing in my book!
I do lack willpower, it is a very bad thing!
xx



E.C, I get the feeling you are plugging your website but as I like the stuff you're advertising you can stay ;-).