3 March 2012

Careful What You Say....


I should take heed of this. I really really should!
I'm one of those people who will offer help and only think about what it has cost me after I've offered or after I've done the deed. In general, I do think it is a good thing, if I can help somebody I will but it has meant I've been royally taken the P out of before now so I'm careful who I help and careful to not be taken advantage of.

My mouth does run away with me though and a throwaway remark has lead to me being co-organiser of a charity calendar. This could either go swimmingly well or it could go awfully and catastrophically wrong. I'm terrible at organising myself but good at organising other people and delegating. What brought about this charity calendar idea? Well, it was prompted by a photo on Facebook (Facebook is always to blame!). The photo is the one below;



A 'helpful' friend of mine posted it and another friend commented on that post saying "This reminds me of GND. Have you shown her?!" to which the friend who had originally posted the photo replied with "That's exactly why I posted it. It reminded me of her the second I saw it!". This friend then proceeded to tag me in this post and I fell in love with the image, I think it's gorgeous and the owner of the image has albums and albums on Facebook of various themed photographs with horses and riders, from a damsel in distress and her knight in shining armour to the slightly dark image above.

Some bright spark (it may have been me....) commented that it would make a fab series of photographs for a calendar. Somebody else then piped up that I had the corsets, the boots, the top hat, the tailcoats and so on, I had the horse and I knew lots of other people that had horses so why not do a charity calendar? According to a lot of people who then commented, this apparently would be a wonderful idea and something different to the old-hat of nude calendars.
By this point a reliable friend had commented and messaged me to say that they would help with the organising and would be up for it if I was....

That's that, all of a sudden I'm the boss of the organising, have somehow managed to post in a private horsey group I am a member of to get a rough idea of numbers and have so far had over two dozen people put their name down. I fully expect half of these (at least) to drop out at the last minute but at last count there were 31 who had put their name down, even accounting for last second dropouts that's still enough for 12 images.

I've had somebody come forward to provide camera skills (qualified so high quality images) a couple of other people have donated appropriate clothing to be borrowed by those who don't have the adequate clothing to wear for the shots (I've even said I'll loan my treasured possesions out providing I'm either there or my things are looked after!), others have donated the use of quiet horses to pose on, others have come forward saying they won't pose but they're happy to act as runarounds should anyone need a spare pair of hands during posing, somebody else has volunteered hair styling, other people have offered to be grooms on the day and I'm doing makeup (it's a qualification of mine that has fallen by the wayside. I'm qualified to do film and catwalk makeup and have done work for one or two TV programmes as a student/dogsbody but it is a very competetive area of work, basically you work for free until you've built a name for yourself which I cannot afford to do).

All of a sudden, in the space of a couple of days, this throwaway remark has taken on a life of it's own. If it comes together it would be amazing, if it doesn't, well that would be less amazing!

Everyone has come forward with worthy charities, the only way to do it fairly is see which ones have the most suggestions and then set up a poll on Facebook to see which one or two have the most votes and are therefore the nominated charities to benefit from this motley crew, their horses and a lone photographer's skill.

The theme of the calendar will be something along the lines of fairytales with a twist. I suspect the eventual calendar (if it happens) will be slightly gothic themed. We shall see, I'll be delighted if it comes to fruition but I can see it taking some bloody hard organising and collating of people, horses, costumes, locations, the costing of it, not to mention the eventual printing, binding and persuading local saddleries, agricultural merchants etc to sell copies like there is no tomorrow!

If it's going to be done then it needs to start being organised now for completion around October time ready to hit the Christmas market and be a 2013 calendar.

Wish me luck, I've a feeling I'll need it! :-D.





6 comments:

cogidubnus said...

Sounds like a good idea taking off well...I agree the image of the girl on the horse is awesome, and I think it's the element of control which gives it special appeal (though perhaps that's just to male eyes!)...

So are you goig to appear in this calendar? If so, I warn you, I'll be searching out a copy!

Girl*Next*Door said...

Cogi, it's very quickly and very much taken off.
I think it is also the contrast of the fragile look of the girl paired with the awesome strength of power of the horse, two contrasts. The light and colour of the girl and solid black horse, almost a bit of a pairing of innocent and darkness. It's a very good photo I think :-).

The idea has definitely taken off, already I've emailed a couple of printing companies and phoned round a few saddleries etc to see if they'd be prepared to carry some copies and it's all be positive replies so far.

I will be in it, yes. For better or worse I will be a model. As there are some stunning girls taking part then us short and slightly less stunning girls are really upping our game! :-D.

It's been fun so far, I'll be really delighted if it takes off and becomes a success :-).

cogidubnus said...

Good for you (though I doubt you're less than stunning!)...

JR said...

Sounds like a brilliant idea. Like you, I think the "let's get our kit off" idea is becoming a bit of a stale cliché. This is a fantastic reinvention. The photo you posted up is stunning; I have no doubt the others will be too. Are you planning on putting a link up to it here so we can get our hands on a copy?

JR

ps, I agree with Cogi; I am willing to bet your self-description does you a disservice!

JR said...

Sounds like a brilliant idea. Like you, I think the "let's get our kit off" idea is becoming a bit of a stale cliché. This is a fantastic reinvention. The photo you posted up is stunning; I have no doubt the others will be too. Are you planning on putting a link up to it here so we can get our hands on a copy?

JR

ps, I agree with Cogi; I am willing to bet your self-description does you a disservice!

Girl*Next*Door said...

Cogi, thank you! :-)


J.R, it's really taking off. I think it is a really novel and lovely twist on the age-old 'get our kit off for charity' calendars :-).
Yes, there will be a link on here to purcahse said calendar once it is published. I'm not saying which month I will be though! :-D.
Well thanks to Mr Rimmel and Mr Maybelliene, at least I don't scare small children and horses when I step out of the door :-D.